Monday, September 15, 2008

You're Doing It Wrong

Ever notice that by taking riding lessons, you are effectively paying a load of money for someone to spend a solid hour detailing all the new and unique ways you manage to fail?

Had my first lesson on Marve since the start of the lease last week, and I was really excited. I'm taking group lessons and there were supposed to be 3 other riders in my class, but none of them showed up on this night. That meant bonus private lesson, whoo hoo!

But my excitement was short-lived. I thought Marve and I had been doing pretty well together, but I guess I was wrong. The instructor had a million things to comment on and gripe about. I felt like I couldn't do anything right.

Now, I do like my instructor. She is not unduly harsh or negative, but she most certainly will point out my flaws. Like, ALL of them. Sometimes, when she keeps pointing out the things I'm (still) doing wrong, I feel like crying out, "But don't you know that this is HARD???"

Obviously, I don't want to pay for lessons only to have the instructor coddle me. I want to get better, and I want that objective feedback from a knowledgeable professional. But I guess sometimes my little feelings get hurt and I wish I had just a smidge more positive feedback. I think I got one compliment the entire lesson. Yes, I'm a whiny baby. But I don't like to think that I'm a disaster and not good enough for Marve, either.

For example, Marve hasn't been stretching or accepting the bit as readily as he once did. Someone at the barn told me she thinks he's being "ruined" because the BO is now using him regularly in lessons. This girl believes not all the lesson riders are good enough for him and are changing him for the worse. I can totally buy that, but I also worry that I'm part of the problem and I'm contributing to his possible downward slide. Sure, these kind of issues come with the territory with lesson horses, but since I'm riding him three times a week I don't want to be a triple bad influence, if that makes sense.

I guess there's not much I can do except keep trying, practicing, working, and listening to my instructor....even if she isn't exactly handing out the shiny gold stars my over-achieving self so dearly craves.

2 comments:

sidetracked said...

Well in my book, what makes a good instructor is working off the positives to improve areas that need help. Your instructor should break things down to small steps for you that you can achieve and not overwhelm you with everything that needs to be fixed or help all at once. Even if that means working on one exercise the entire lesson so be it. The job of the sintructor is to instill confidence and safety in the rider whil also teaching a certain discipline and basing all of that on the horse and rider combination and their learning capabilities.

With that said, I wouldn't be so down on yourself. Hopefully your instructor is pointing out all of these things you need to work on because she feels you can achieve them. Keep your chin up girl and get that confidence revved.

I've been away for a week to had to catch up on your posts. I don't think a schooling show would be too far fetched for you at all. And as for the adults showing, I'm an adult and show regularly, don't let that stop you. Maybe talk with your instrructor after your lesson adn ask her what it would take for you and Marve to attend the schooling and show and what division she thinks you should be in. Be honest but also let her know of your intentions and that riding is serious to you and improving is your goal. Good Luck and I love reading your blog. Keep us updated.

Maybe Mae said...

Thank you! You are right, I shouldn't let my age concerns stop me from doing the schooling show. I hope to have an update on that soon -- it looks like I will be able to enter Marve, and I'm actually super excited!