Saturday, September 27, 2008

All Thumbs

So where have I been? What's been going on? Sorry about my absence. I had yet another houseguest, and then work and life and all that jazz just piled up and I neglected this blog. But I'm back now.

So...some financial crisis, huh? I have to say, I'm glad I decided to lease Marve instead of going full out and buying a horse. I'm not running for the hills yet, but if this economic crisis gets much worse, who knows what will happen to my job. I feel more secure and comfortable leasing Marve without having to worry about supporting a horse 100%. And even the half lease is taking a noticeable chunk out of my pay every month -- this lease costs more than double what I was paying for Mae, plus I'm still taking rather pricey lessons, with plans to add some private sessions. It all adds up and I'm relieved I don't have the financial burden that comes with full horse ownership right now.

So you know that horse show coming up next month? It looks like I'm definitely entering it. I'll do equitation, pleasure, showmanship, and maybe one more. I haven't yet decided between intermediate or advanced; I'll talk to my instructor about that one. I'm excited because even though it's just a tiny schooling show, and I'll probably be riding around the ring with kids again, it's still going to be a test of what Marve and I have been working on. So I'm looking forward to it.

Oh, but I have to learn how to braid now. This is completely new to me. When I entered a couple of little shows as a kid/teen, I was riding my Arab mare, so her long mane made braiding unnecessary. I don't know how I'm going to pull this off. I don't exactly have nimble fingers and I can't even do anything with my hair, much less braid a neat little row down the neck of a 17-hand Thoroughbred who hates to stand still for 20 minutes to be groomed, much less braided. Sigh. So we'll see how this goes.

More later on on my show goals and the challenges, both big and small, we still need to overcome!

2 comments:

Daun said...

Yay, I am glad you are back! I was beginning to worry you were bored with the blog or Marve wasn't working out.

Yea, don't mention the financial crisis. I am trying really hard to pretend that me buying a very expensive farm right now is the smartest thing to do. I am afraid to look at my retirement accounts.

So exciting about the big show! What is "intermediate" and "advanced"? I am not familiar with those divisions. I am glad you are entering Marve and will learn how to braid. It's not that bad and then you can transfer that skill to a new horse when everything settles down again.

Oh, and I had a Shipyard Pumpkin Ale the other day. It's my favorite time of the year....

Maybe Mae said...

Yay for pumpkin beer! I had a pumpkin Blue Moon the other day. Pretty good, but not enough pumpkin. I love this season too! Go pumpkins. :)

The little schooling show is broken down into green beginner, beginner, intermediate, and advanced. The intermediate isn't quite as low-level as it sounds, and the advanced riders are pretty darn good, in my opinion. So while I could enter advanced, I'm thinking intermediate might be safer because of some issues that I will blog about very soon.

And hey, don't let this economy put a damper on your house/barn buying! I actually wish I had bought a house, to be honest, because I have money in other places and my accounts are going down as we speak...it might actually have been better for me to invest in some real estate.