Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Transition from Mae to Marve

Well, it's September, which means my lease on Mae is unofficially over. "Unofficially" because the owner would still like me to continue riding, so I don't have to stop, but I think I've already come to terms with the lease ending. I love Mae. I think she's a great horse and I will miss her, but I'm not sure how often I'll get out there to ride her anymore. I'm not even sure I want to commit to once a week, to be honest. I guess I'll wait and see how I feel before making any decisions.

I'd also like to sort of apologize here for anything not-so-nice I might have said about Mae's owner. Since she's returned, she and I have met at the barn a few times to chat and work with Mae together. Even if the owner has done some things I don't entirely understand (like just leaving me to ride her horse while giving me almost no info, not contacting me or the barn owner all summer to check up on Mae, etc.), I now see there is no denying how much she loves Mae. I think the owner means well and wants Mae to be happy and healthy and have the best. This is part of the reason why I feel okay backing away from the lease situation, because at the least, I know Mae still has her "own" person to come take care of her and love her.

I only rode Mae once this weekend, and when I left I didn't realize it might be my "last time." I didn't leave a note for everyone else at the barn or anything. It's not like I think I won't be going back ever, but it feels weird, like I just up and left without saying goodbye. I guess I have a hard time with transitions and change, huh?

Speaking of transitions...the lease with Marve at Other Barn is official! (Am I going to have to call it "Primary Barn" now?) I start this week. I'm nervous. Will I do okay with him? Will he run off with me at the canter?

But I'm also super excited. Oh, and for those who asked, Marve is a huge Thoroughbred, about 17 hands. Gray. I'm not sure how old he is. I know he did a lot of jumping and dressage before he came to this barn. I don't believe he's an OTTB, but don't quote me on that.

I think this is a good move for me. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

sidetracked said...

Good Luck, can't wait to hear how it turns out. Keep us updated

Anonymous said...

Good luck! I'm happy for you.

The goodbye thing is weird with horses... and I tend to agree that sometimes no goodbye is the best way to go.