Saturday, July 5, 2008

Little Frustrations Plus Some Gratitude

I have determined that my difficulty in riding without stirrups on Mae truly is limited to Mae. Last week in my lesson at Other Barn, I rode this gelding notorious for his horribly uncomfortable, bouncy trot without stirrups and I was fine. I try not to blame my problems on outside sources (the horse, the tack, the temperature, the humidity, the state of the moon, etc.) but in this case I think something really is up with the Mae's saddle. I've never been fully comfortable in it and I feel like I'm going to rocket off when I start trotting her without stirrups. Riding that bouncy-trotting gelding without stirrups at Other Barn, though, was no problem. So maybe it's not that I'm a totally crappy rider.

In other complainy news, I'm getting really tired of Mae's barn's riding facilities. I've had to ride in the teeny tiny indoor for about two weeks straight now, due both to weather conditions and other circumstances. Even the outdoor is small and kind of uneven and not the best. I would love to see how Mae and I would do in a nice, large, level arena. But since that is not a possibility right now, I guess I shouldn't dwell on it.

On a positive note, my friend came out to the stable with me last week and brought her 7-year-old daughter. This girl was so excited to meet Mae that she was literally shaking. I remember getting that excited to be around horses when I was a kid -- heck, sometimes I still feel that way -- but it was nice to see her so happy. If Mae were my own horse I'd be happy to put my friend's daughter up there and lead her around for a bit, but since she's not we settled for a grooming lesson. Which seemed to thrill this little girl to no end and reminded me how lucky I am to have found a way to bring horses back into my life.

No comments: