Thursday, July 24, 2008

Falafel + Dr Pepper = Match Made in Heaven EVIL

I've been sick and tired about being out of shape for quite a while now. I want to lose the extra pounds I gained in the last year and feel better. I was so much happier before I got lazy -- and not just because I was down a pants size. It's especially frustrating that I keep failing to get back in shape since I KNOW I'll be happier. As my SO says, once you fall off the wagon, it's so hard to get back on. (No, he's not an alcoholic. He's also put on a few, ha.)

Here are some improvements I vow to make (and have already started):

1. Ride my bike more. I used to bike all the time and now I barely do. I've started riding to the store again, and for other shopping errands, etc. I can even ride to Other Barn for my lessons. (This is also an incentive to start leasing the horse at this barn, since it's close enough to bike to!) I think I might ride to work tomorrow, too. I used to commute by bike to my old job, but my current job is a few more miles away and the route isn't the most bike-friendly in the world. But I'll give it a shot.

2. Less computer time! Uh, so I guess I should stop posting now, huh? I've only recently realized how addicted I've become to the Internet. Damn that convenient wireless service. Makes me almost miss the days in my old place when I had dial-up and only one phone jack in the whole place, so I'd have to move my laptop another room anytime I wanted to go online. Now I sit down to write or work and end up reading inane Web pages until I'm exhausted and fall asleep. This snuck up on me -- I thought I was safe because I just about never watch tv. But the Internet is just as bad.

3. Back to the salad regime. In my "old" life (before this job) I always had a huge, leafy green salad every day for lunch. No processed food, no snacks. I have definitely fallen off the wagon in that respect, but in the last few weeks I've really made an effort to keep buying and washing the tons of organic greens necessary to keep me in fresh salad every day at lunchtime.

4. More yoga. Will make time to go to class more often and try to practice at home every other day. Yoga makes me feel so much better for riding, too.

5. No soda/pop! Seriously. This also wasn't a big problem for me until last year when I switched jobs. Damn vending machine at work and that lunch place that gives out free Dr Pepper with the falafel roll. DAMN YOU!!!

6. More cooking. I've come a long way from the girl who thought the "brown flour" instruction on her grandmother's recipe meant buying flour that was brown. I barely knew how to make spaghetti and once I set the kitchen on fire. But now, believe it or not, I'm an awesome cook. Must use those skills more often and cook from scratch (I love whole grains, tofu, veggie dishes...) instead of freaking out with hunger at 7:30pm and eating three bowls of cereal. Okay. Four.

7. More looking at the photos of me riding Mae where you can see the jiggle of fat in my thighs. 'Nuff said.

Writing this list has made me realize that the simple life is the way to go and makes it easier to stay in shape. I worked a crappy job and made no money but I was emotionally and physically happy/healthy and it was easy to make good choices. Fancy schmancy jobs might bring prestige, more money for horsey stuff and an engaging work environment, but they also = stress, less time, and bastard falafel guys throwing free Dr Pepper at you every chance they get. And don't give me that line about how Diet Dr Pepper is just as good. It's NOT. Also, it tastes best in a nice cold can, not a plastic bottle. But that doesn't matter anymore because I'm apparently off the stuff.

Okay, time for me to follow rule #2 and get off the computer now. I'll post an update tomorrow about my recent lesson at Other Barn and my thoughts on Thoroughbreds (how those thoughts may or may not have changed from my childhood when I thought all TBs were "crazy" even though I rode spooky Arabs). Have a good night and for goodness sakes, go eat some lettuce!

2 comments:

Serena said...

You are too funny!
I have cellulite pictures too--we all do! I usually blame some combination of the camera angle, the lighting, where i'm at while posting, and the breeches. Oh Lord, do i blame the breeches.

Maybe Mae said...

IT'S ALWAYS THE BREECHES!!