Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Leasing Frustrations

I've been trying to contact Mae's owner and so far, no dice. I realize she is traveling out of the country and is busy, but you know what? She's not on a desert island. She has access to email and a phone, and she hasn't contacted me to check up on Mae even once. Not that I'm shocked, but I'm kind of upset for Mae. I would never leave my horse for an entire summer, in the hands of a leaser, and not check in from time to time. I know she trusts the barn manager, but you know what? Mae is still her horse and her responsibility. (The barn manager hasn't heard from the owner, either, btw. She also doesn't seem surprised.)

I want to talk to the owner to find out when exactly she's coming back and what her plans may be after her return. Will I continue leasing Mae into the fall? Will she up and sell Mae? Will she maybe decide she's going to actually ride herself? Frankly, I think she was relieved that I came along to give her mare some attention and exercise so she didn't have to feel guilty about not doing it herself. [/end rant]

The only reason I'm frustrated about this at the moment is because I need to determine what I'm doing: if I'm going to keep leasing Mae, switch to that Thoroughbred at Other Barn, find another horse altogether or take a break from leasing and just take lessons. I'm still very conflicted. If I want to lease the horse at Other Barn, I might need to commit to start by mid-August. I think I'll ask if I can try him one more time. Otherwise, I'm tempted to find another lease project at a stable that is closer than Mae's but not as expensive at Other Barn. There must be tons of horses out there who need more exercise and attention...the challenge is finding them!

All of this almost makes me want to go out and buy a horse. I scan the DreamHorse and local rescue site listings now and then, but I know the timing is not right for me to buy a horse. Must. Resist. !

3 comments:

halfpassgirl said...

I can't even go away for a week without starting to worry about my mare!

Laura Maylene said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maybe Mae said...

I know, right?? I'm not sure what is going on with her. I think she may have lost interest...