Sunday, July 27, 2008

Maybe...Marve?

You know how some people believe Hell is different for every person, namely that whatever you fear most will happen over and over? Well, my personal horse hell would be a super fast horse who will NOT slow down and who takes off, running me around in terrifying circles until I finally launch into the air and ram my body against the arena wall on the way down. I had several nasty falls that way as a kid, first with the pony I started taking lessons on and later on a huge TB. And I once again experienced Hell this weekend (albeit briefly, and thank god without the fall) when I rode the TB I want to lease at Other Barn.

Our ride started out great. We were working on trotting 20 meter circles and then spiraling in to 10 meters and leg yielding back out. He and I were doing so well! He was on the aids and stretched down to meet my hands and it was awesome. I was thrilled and knew I just had to lease him because we would work well together and I'd improve as a rider.

But then we cantered, and he got super excited and strong. Once I couldn't pull him back and we cantered around the circle like twice before I could get him to trot. That's not acceptable. (Not saying it's all his fault, I'm just saying it's not acceptable to be unable to pull a horse back!) Then, while cantering in the other direction, we were better, but the cantering still got him riled up and after that he trotted suuuuper fast around the ring. I couldn't get him to relax and slow down. I tried posting lower and slower, squeezing my outside rein, and, I'm ashamed to admit, flat-out hauling back on the reins, and no dice. It was very frustrating.

I've seen some of the stable's best teenage girl riders on him and they don't seem to have this problem. It makes me feel very inferior and like I'm not good enough of a rider for him. I was also a little scared (well, especially during the time he wouldn't stop cantering) and wondered whether I could handle him.

The barn manager told me I did well overall and that he and I are an okay match for each other if I still want to lease him. I was glad to hear that. I know I'd have a lot of work to do but I'm willing to give it a shot. Mae and I have improved so much over the last three months, and so I imagine I'd get better with him, too, because I plan on working hard. At the least, the first few times I ride him on my own I can just walk and trot to build my confidence with him before we canter.

So nothing's official yet, but I told the BM I was definitely interested. I might get to ride him once or twice more before we start a lease. But I'm excited. And I guess this means I should finally introduce him, huh? Um, here goes.

His name is Marve.

I know, right? Marve. What a weird name. I asked someone if it was short for Marvin and they didn't know...he is only known as Marve. Even says it on his halter.

I also just realized that "Marve" is only two letters more than "Mae," ha ha. If I lease him and not Mae, should I call this blog Maybe Marve?

Maybe not!

As far as Mae is concerned, my options are:

1)Keep going with Mae until the end of August as planned. Unfortunately, I think I've already ruled this out. I want to start the lease at Other Barn sometime in August, if possible. Waiting until September might be too late. And I think I'm done with the inconvenience of Mae's stable and the riding facilities.
2) Pay for half of August's lease and ride her through August 15. The problem with this plan is I will be on vacation for 5 of those days.
3) Not do August at all -- which means Thursday would be my last day riding her. Yikes!

I hate to say it, but when I first realized I didn't have to commit to doing August at all, I felt a little relieved. It would free up so much time and I wouldn't have to deal with any more long drives. Plus, I could take a short break before diving into another lease. On the other hand, I love Mae and this thing with Marve (still can't get over his weird name, btw) isn't set in stone yet. I guess I'm worried someone else will swoop him up in a lease before I sign on the dotted line.

In any case, please join me in hoping that Mr. Marve will not help me face my own personal Hell by, you know, running off at a mad gallop and ditching my ass in the dirt. Thanks!

3 comments:

Roxie said...

Doo you live in Idaho? I, Roxie, live in Idaho. Ther wuz a horse heer for a bit named Marve. He is a big turrowbred. An Roommate Horse's reel naem is Marvelina. Marvel horses is all reel fast and all abowt runnin.

Laura Maylene said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maybe Mae said...

Hi Roxie! No, we are not in Idaho, though I hear that is a nice place to live.

Marvelina is an excellent name for a lady horse. (Not nearly as good as Roxie, of course!) I wish you could have a Roxie talk with my Marve and tell him this running around business is overrated and he should just chill. :)