Sunday, November 30, 2008

Oh, also....

Thought you could use a break from my horse-related whining and let you know that my SO and I have decided to get married. We have been together for ages and live together, so for most people this seems like the typical step. But since we are non-traditional hippies who don't really like the institution of marriage and all that it represents (or that not everyone in this country even has the right to get married) we never thought we'd get officially hitched.

But then you get old and your perspective changes and we figure we love each other so much and we're in it for the duration, so why not throw a party? A small, casual party that will NOT involve a pouffy white dress, tuxedo-wearing butlers or little boxes of Jordan almonds that crack your teeth....but a party nonetheless! Also, this way when/if one of our jobs tanks because of the fabulous economy, the health insurance will be more of a sure thing. (SO briefly had to get on my insurance before he started a new job, and while we're lucky my job even allows domestic partner coverage, it costs nearly 3 times as much, blech.)

So anyway, it will probably be next year sometime. Someone has already suggested that I "ride into the ceremony on a horse." To this I just smiled blankly. Suuuure. Hey, here's an idea. Why don't I ride Marve in and let him bolt and knock everyone down? It's sure to keep the guest list down, at least.

Okay. Seriously. I have a sink full of dishes that I have been putting off all night long. Such is the life of marital bliss...

7 comments:

Daun said...

Congrats! it's about time you guys stopped living in sin. Really, it's disgusting. ;)

I am very happy for you and can't wait to see all the very personal pictures and details I am sure you are going to share with us complete strangers, right?

Privacy is so 1999.

Laura said...

Congrats - that is great news. A small party sounds like a good way to do things!

Britnie - Riding During Naps said...

Congrats from me too!! And don't worry bout riding in, get a carriage!! (Thats what I did and people are STILL talking about how beautiful it was, I got lucky and got to have a huge white percheron pull me and my dad in :D )

Funder said...

Congrats!

We had a lovely nontraditional wedding - got married by the judge at the courthouse on a Thursday, then had a small party on the roof of our highrise apartment building on a Saturday. Chocolate wedding cake, two huge pans of pulled pork BBQ and fixins, and a keg of beer.

The only remotely traditional thing we did - and I recommend you do it too! - is putting disposable cameras on each table and getting guests to take goofy shots of you, each other, etc.

Anonymous said...

congrats to you.

Yep, who said that all that traditional crap was needed for a wedding. Make it your own, regardless of all the advice that will come your way.

Sarah said...

Congratulations! Now you need to start a wedding blog. Just please don't call it Maybe Marriage. Doesn't bode well...

McFawn said...

Congrats.

This is my first time at your blog and I noticed you were a writer, too. I have an MFA and a "real job" and I owned a horse for 15 years who just passed away. I know all about the struggle to find time to write, ride, and do anything else!

I also know all about being envious of the coddled life of academia, submissions, etc. I just started resubmitting after a dry spell, too.