Tuesday, December 9, 2008

I am such a weenie.

I finally broached the subject of ending the lease on Marve, with not-so-good results. The barn manager told me that there aren't enough advanced lesson riders to ride him throughout the week, so they might not be able to keep him when I stop the lease.

I asked what would happen to him, and they said they'd try to work something out with his previous owner or see if they could sell him. I asked point blank if he'd go to auction (really, he is too usable of a horse for it to come to that, I hope) and I was told of course not.

There is a girl at the stable who keeps asking about my lease with him, so I checked to see if she'd want to lease him, but she doesn't think she could afford it.

I can obviously do what I want. I'm not obligated to lease him. But I feel a little worried about abandoning him. Plus, he has not bolted or spooked since that last awful time I fell, which was like 5-6 weeks ago. Knock on wood. And as much as I'd love my own horse, I still don't quite feel ready to buy one at this time.

Add all that to the fact that something is holding me back from ending the lease. Our last few rides went better. I still feel like I'm learning with him. I'm not sure I'm ready to go back to only riding once a week, and there are no other horses for me to lease. And yep, I've looked around -- there are a couple of horses I could lease but they are at least a 40-minute drive each way, and I don't want to do that.

I know some of you are probably kicking me for not just ending the lease. But we'll see. This doesn't mean I am extending it indefinitely, just a little longer.

For all of you who are blessed with the ability to easily and quickly make a decision, please take a moment to appreciate and recognize this important skill that some of us are so sorely lacking.

2 comments:

Daun said...

No one is going to kick you! You are in the best position to see what is best for you and your riding, and yes, your obligations (such as they are) to Marve. We're all rooting for you and I am happy things are going well with your riding.

Keep blogging and keeping us in the loop!

Laura said...

Don't be so hard on yourself!!! Some decisions aren't meant to be made quickly! You are trying to find a riding solution that works for your confidence and your lifestyle, so that isn't something that is decided in a wink.

I'm glad your rides have been going better lately though.

That being said - don't let the barn people bully you into keeping riding when or if you decide it isn't working out for you... Like Daun said, you are the one that decides what is best for you!