Thursday, November 6, 2008

Hope

So the first time I went back to the stable to ride Marve after his freak out, I was pretty nervous. I had spent the previous 24 hours alternating between the attitudes of, "It will be fine! That was just a freak occurrence. I can handle this!" and "OMG I'm going to die!!"

I started grooming Marve and was fairly optimistic...until I learned from the stable girls that he did his crazy bolting thing every other day the previous week with other riders. Another girl had fallen off; the others managed to stay on but apparently were freaked enough to say they didn't want to ride him again.

At that point, I stepped back and looked at Marve and thought it was a foregone conclusion that he would freak out again, as in that very day when I rode him. And I was scared. Super scared. Meanwhile, one of the teenage girls was going on abut how I'd have to get used to it because he was a TB, after all, and that was just what they did. I should suck it up and learn how to ride out a crazy freak-bolt and stop complaining and acting scared.

Wtf? Is being a TB an excuse to be a dangerous, bolting, bucking freak-out monster? Seriously. He was fine for months and now he's freaking out. Couldn't that indicate something was going on? Should I really just "suck it up"? I know TBs have a reputation for being hot, but come on. For him to freak out EVERY time he was ridden last week just didn't seem normal.

At this point, I had finished grooming him and was nearly in tears. Just then the barn manager walked by and asked me how I was. I may or may not have exclaimed something like, "No, I am NOT fine because I'm afraid he's going to dump me again."

Long story short, I ended up in the barn manager's office for nearly a half hour, talking about my fears and what could be going on with Marve. I kind of felt like a kid in an afterschool special, getting advice from the stern schoolmaster. But she was really nice and said I certainly did not have to "get used to it" because clearly something was going on with Marve. Likely, he needed more exercise and less time being cooped up in his stall. I feel a little indignant about this, because DUH. I don't know...I don't feel horses should be stalled all the time, but sometimes that concept seems like a novelty at this barn.

The story ends with me feeling the confident that the BM was looking out for my best interests. I did end up riding him that day. I was nervous and jumpy -- literally, every time I heard a noise a stiffened in the saddle because I was afraid he'd take off. But he was okay. I've ridden him several times since then and he has not freaked out, not even once. I'm having fun riding him again, and for the first time in a week I'm not dreading returning to the stable.

I'm still not fully recovered, though. Frankly, I think he will freak out again while I'm riding him. Whether he gets nervous or spooked or just has too much energy that day, it's probably going to happen. Hopefully, I will be able to use some of the tips people have been giving me and not get hurt or fall off.

But as long as I can get to a point where I'm not constantly afraid it's going to happen, I might be okay. And I might still have fun in the process.

4 comments:

sidetracked said...

I'm just getting back into reading everyone's blogs since my acident and job change. I'm sorry your going through so many struggles. All I guess I have to say is follow your heart. I understand that as we get older our reflexes slow down and our sense of confidence dimishes. But do you have anyone you can ride with, or maybe have someone lunge you while you work on your position and gain confidence. The thing I have learned about riding lots of TB's is that thet are an emotional barometer. If your nervous and tense their gonna wonder what's up. If you confident they will mirror that. Keep up the good work and I'll be checking in on your blog

Laura said...

I'm glad you got back on Marve and are working through your feelings. Don't give up just yet - for those of us that don't have the type A, courageous, fearless personalities, riding is a bit more challenging, I think.

I broke my arm from a silly fall last year and I'm just starting to feel ok about it all now.

Good advice from sidetracked - "follow your heart"...it'll lead you in the right way.

Keep us posted on how you are doing!

halfpassgirl said...

I was just wondering if Marve could have a physical issue, since this is becoming a recurring problem. Has he had his teeth floated recently? Could you talk the barn manager into having him looked over by a vet?

Two things I focus on when I've had a fall and feel my confidence is shaken: 1) Don't do anything you don't want to do. If all you do is get on and walk for fifteen minutes, that's good enough. Success breeds success. 2) Focus on what you *do* want the horse to do, not what you *don't* want him to do. Keep him busy with lots of stuff: small circles, halts, changes of direction, reinback, leg yield. Keep his mind on you.

You CAN come back from fear and be a confident rider again. It just takes time. Don't get down on yourself! Good luck!

Funder said...

Hi Maybe! I'm your new toast-buddy from Daun's toast and I just started exploring your blog.

I TOTALLY know what you mean about The Fear. It's really insidious. Everybody else gave really good advice; the only thing I can add is to work on your body language. If you're tense, Marve will feel it and get more nervous because obviously you know something he doesn't, and it's a feedback loop. You do yoga, so you know how to concentrate on different body parts - concentrate on letting your legs be un-scared and relaxed, wrapped around the horse. Then your hands, your torso, etc. It's not a magic bullet, but it will help prevent you from freaking your horse into another blowup.

FWIW, I am terrified every time I mount any horse at all other than my gelding. I just do my best to not let my body say it. :)