Friday, August 1, 2008

I Couldn't Do It

So it's August 1, and the time to decide about Mae's lease has come and gone. And I decided...to keep it up through the rest of August. I just couldn't cut it short! She and I have been doing so well together. I almost paid for only half of August and then decided, screw it. The amount I pay is so small (again, I pay just about the same in gas to get out there) that it will be worth it even if I only get up there once or twice a week at the end of the month.

I took her saddle pad and bit home today to give them both a good washing. There are all these little details you don't think of unless you actually own a horse. But leasing Mae has shown me that my interest in horses is definitely real and back in my life, and isn't just a passing whim that came out of nostalgia. And while I may forget lots of little silly things and need to continuously ask questions, I think this lease has also shown me that I will be a good horse owner when the time comes.

When the time comes...hmm. As much as I constantly keep saying now isn't the time for a horse, I keep thinking about it more and more. And I can't stop checking DreamHorse. I know I'm not there yet, but I'm going to keep it in the back of my mind. Tomorrow, in addition to driving all the way out into the boonies to go to the nearest tack shop for more fly spray and supplies, I also am going to check out a few stables just to feel them out for boarding.

You know, I think if Other Barn simply had grass turnout, I'd already have a horse and be moving it there despite the high boarding fees, ha ha.

Still no definite news on leasing Marve. I don't feel so rushed about it, though. If it happens, it happens. If not, maybe I'll just freak out and buy a horse, ha. :)

2 comments:

Daun said...

Where are you located and what kind of horse are you interested in? I always know about good horses.. :)

And yes, I am an enabler. Good horse(wo)men should never be horseless!

Sarah said...

It sounds like you're on the verge. I totally agree with lettings things work out they way they should, and I won't be surprised to read about the perfect horse that dropped out of the sky in the not-too-distant future.