Sunday, August 24, 2008

Back in the Saddle Again

Okay, not really (though I do have tentative plans to go riding after work tomorrow -- in the indoor ring only). Saturday, the day after Mae succeeded in throwing me off with one spectacular buck, was also the day I had promised to take a 12-year-old girl to an amusement park. Since I still didn't notice any major effects from my fall on Friday, I kept our plans and off we went.

Luckily, this girl isn't into the big crazy rides, so I wasn't too worried about getting on something that could make any subtle post-buck injuries worse. But guess which ride she wanted to get on first? Yep. The carousel. As we stood in line waiting our turn, I watched it go round and round and began to feel kind of funny. Dizzy, sick. I started to worry that getting on any spinning rides would be a disaster because maybe my head had been jostled a bit in the fall after all, just enough to surface when I stupidly got on amusement park rides the very next day.

I was halfway through imagining some horror story involving me having a panic/vomiting/hallucinatory attack and causing a scene mid-ride when the gates snapped open and we were ushered through the entrance. My pre-teen charge dashed in to pick the two prettiest horses she could find side by side. Under normal circumstances, I would have pointed out it's always best to choose outside horses because they feel like they are going faster, but this time I was perfectly content with a slow inside horse. (My nerves also made me sacrifice the horse sporting a teal and purple polka-dotted saddle pad, by the way.)

I automatically went to the left side of my carousel horse and mounted just as you'd properly mount a real horse, even keeping my heels down once I was on (and then I realized that I had mounted carousel horses that way all through my childhood, which now strikes me as a little obnoxious). But once I was in that plastic saddle, I felt like I had to puke. I think it was a combination of being worried the ride was going to make me sick/injured/etc. when I had to be an adult and take care of a 12-year-old girl and drive her home safely, etc., along with being a little nervous at the idea of getting on anything that vaguely resembles a horse after Bucky McBuckerson had her way with me the other day.

But you know what? The ride went fine, I didn't get sick, and we then proceeded to ride a variety of other mostly tame attractions and I was fine. Later that night, once I was home, my neck felt a bit stiff, but still no major problems. And as much as I intend to joke about Mae being a monstrous bucking beast, when I do get out there next I know I'll be happy to see her. I'll give her carrots and groom her till she's nice and pretty and hopefully we'll have a slow, easy ride.

I am drinking a Miller High Life as I write this, by the way. I'm just saying.

7 comments:

Daun said...

Woohoo! Glad you are ok.

I have been enjoying a summery selection of wheat beers recently, not the least of which is Sam's Summer by my good friend, Mr. Adams. I also like a nice Hoegaarden, but it's hard to find in the backwoods of Maine.

Miller High Life??? No comment... :)

Maybe Mae said...

LOL! I know, I know. That was the only beer we had in the house and I think my SO bought it because it was on a super sale. I swear we like good beer, too, but I'm also not above a High Life. :) It was in a bottle but not a can, does that make it any better??

Serena said...

I AM above a High Life. :-) I'm stouts all the way--I always say I won't drink any beer that i can see through. But I'll admit to having a can or two or three of Hamm's in the fridge. You know. For extreme emergencies. ;-) So i guess that's just as bad.
Hooray for beer!

Daun said...

One of these days, we need to have a "convention" where we, er, convene over alcohol . Of course Stacey over in Hawaii with her Wild Turkey drinking "issue" scares me a little bit. Suddenly, my beer seems a little weak.

Ha! Serena likes her beer stout... Like her horse!! (love ya, Roxie!!)

Serena said...

TOTALLY. :-) We should all go visit Stacey and Klein!

sidetracked said...

Hang in there. You know more then you think you do and do't let a bad experience ruin that. Have a few beers, take some time to reflect and then get right back on. Have someone knowledgeable ride with you or supervise and before you know it your confidence will increase.

Maybe Mae said...

Thank you, sidetracked! I did ride last night and it went fine. I'll blog about it soon. (Seems like other people at the office think I should be "working" right now instead of being online.)

And I love Daun's idea of having a "convention" complete with adult beverages. I swear I'd bring something good!! :)