Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Vapid Fashion Commentary

So I rode Mae Monday evening with no problems -- no bucking, no nerves, no fear. We just did a quick half-hour ride in the indoor. I wasn't nervous at all before getting on, and mostly because I was thinking about how she was standing perfectly still for me to mount, and how when I first started riding her she would never stand like that. In fact, the barn owner told me I should "get used to hopping on while she trots away." Um, no. It just took a little patience on my part but now Mae stands there quietly until I get on, whether I use a mounting block or not.

My random thought for today's post involves riding fashion. When I was growing up, I always wore breeches and high boots to ride, except for when I got older and went through my bareback stage, when really anything was fine. But in general, everyone I knew basically stuck to the breeches and high boots format.

So last year, once I knew for sure I was truly getting back into riding and not just tooling around with a single set of lessons, I invested in some breeches and high boots. And then I slowly realized that the snooty teen riders at Other Barn didn't wear high boots. Ever. They wore paddock boots and half chaps, either with jeans or breeches. I slowly noticed that besides the dude who looks like he's about 65 (on a huge TB...go him), not one person wears high boots. It's half chaps galore.

I wonder whether this current fashion 1) changed with the times, 2) is a regional thing, since I grew up in a different state, 3) is a money issue (though half chaps and paddock boots really don't cost much less than a pair of high boots) or 4) is just another piece of evidence proving that no matter what I do, I never seem to be fashionable or on top of trends. And these are just the horsey trends. We won't even talk regular fashion! Heck, I'm lucky I still don't have bangs that I blow up with a curling iron and then drown in hairspray. Oh, 1980s. You were good to me.

Anyway. I do own a pair of half chaps now, but not because I'm trying to keep up my appearances at Other Barn. (Yeah, I freely admitted to you guys that I drank a Miller High Life. I clearly don't care about appearances.) They're way better than wearing paddock boots alone and provide a nice option when I want to ride in jeans.

My office phone just rang and it jarred me awake. Why am I writing blogs about my inability to keep up with equestrian fashions? Will my jumping position ever improve? Will 80s bangs ever make a comeback? (I hope not.)

I'm off to do some actual work and ponder these questions. More to come soon about leases and my new discoveries about Mae and other such fascinating topics. Till then!

3 comments:

Laura said...

Equestrian fashion is really important! It's a very good thing to be thinking about while at work! lol

Everyone here does the breeches/jeans and padock boots/half chaps thing too. It seems that tall boots are used for shows most of the time. I totally prefer tall boots and would own a pair if I didn't have ginormous calves.

So - what is going on with the lease situation?? Don't keep us in the dark. lol

Oh - glad you recovered from your fall ok - it's not fun being chucked.

sidetracked said...

As for the fashion thing in horses and especially english, scoff it away! Some people are so caught up in ther designer riding attire and what the pros are doing that they follow everything like little sheep. Ask George Morris what he does if someone isn't wearing tall boots and breeches in a lesson of his? Oh I cringe to even think about it!

The point to my story is that I usually don't just go to to the barn to ride, I may help with chores or hang out for the day etc... I usually wear jeans and half chaps with paddock boots, althogh last night I wore breeches and half chaps. But chaps can cause a rider to be lazy. There's more grip in half chaps and the feel is totally different that tall bots and breeches. SO while all those kids and teens are having their legs swing back 6 inches in a show over a jump you can laugh at them and ask how fashionable not placing is to them.

I'm not rich, far from it. I do appreciate quality and especially around horses you need that and durability. But as long as it's safe and provides a function let it be.

I dream of owning a GPA helmet sometimes, but I don't have the money and have a perfectionally fine and safe one now. Be the trend setter and not a little sheep. By the way I love your blog!

Maybe Mae said...

Thanks, sidetracked! I'm glad you mentioned half chaps have more grip, because I wondered if it was my imagination that they are "easier" to ride in than my high boots. Very interesting point about getting used to that! And, again, I obviously don't get caught up in fashion, lol. I am clueless in that respect and well aware that I always will be. :)