Thursday, October 16, 2008

Too Many Cooks in the Kitchen (or Braiders in the Barn)

My braiding practice has been frustrating not just because I never have the time to actually braid the whole mane, but also because I keep getting conflicting advice and therefore am continuously starting over. First, I started braiding one way, but a girl came and gave me advice for doing it another way. The braids looked different with her way of tying them off, but they were tighter, so I thought that must be good. So I scrapped my first attempts and started braiding the new way. Then someone else came and showed me how to do it in a way that was similar to my first technique. Every time this happened I felt like my previous practice was no good and I had relearn it. Ahhh!

But I have made a decision to stick with the original way. Besides being slightly easier for me (I admit it!) it also just looks better with Marve's mane. So even if the braids aren't as tiny and tight-looking as others, I figure a neat-looking appearance is better than really tight and crooked.

It is still so hard, though. I can see why so much practice is necessary. And I can tell you that I'm looking forward to the show being over so I can stop spending late nights braiding at the barn, or obsessing over how I'm possibly going to get him clean enough for showmanship. My life seems to have been consumed by this teeny little show. I'm driving a million miles to the tack shop again today to pick up some last minute supplies, and I'll probably try to practice braiding again if I have time. It will be a relief when it's all over and I don't need to freak out about a stain on his coat.

The stains are still there, by the way, and I fear they will be there on show day, too. This is a struggle for me, because at heart I am a perfectionist. I want to be able to make him totally clean and glowing for show day. I'm willing to put in the work. But I a) probably won't have enough time and b) seem to lack the ability to get a gray horse clean.

Well, despite my excitement (I can't believe the show is only days away now!) I also can't wait until I can relax after Saturday and it's all over.

Oh, on the plus side, the stirrupless exercises are still going okay...no falling off! I hope that means my heart won't explode with terror at the show when the judge tells us to lose the stirrups and start cantering around.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

You poor thing, you sound suuuper stressed! Have you tried baby wipes to get out the stains on Marve? I haven't tried that trick myself, but I've heard it works. And try not to worry about your braids. Even if they're not perfect they'll look great from a few steps away. You'll do great!

Serena said...

DEFINITELY find what works for you and stick with it. There are SO many ways to braid . . . don't stress it though, just have fun! It takes tons of practice but it sounds like you are on your way!

Britnie - Riding During Naps said...

I'm rootin for ya!! I'm sure your braids will be totally acceptable, and good luck on the clean gray horse prob, ugh, I have a grey 18 month old, hes still pretty dark though, so I don't have to worry too much. But I forsee him being 'white' very soon!

Think happy thoughts, happy thoughts!! Also, try watching this vid that I found on the behind the bit blog:

(Im gonna attempt at linking it, lol, quite sure it wont work.)

Jane Savoie

Britnie - Riding During Naps said...

Well, now I see Im way behind and the show already happened, haha, cant wait to hear a detailed report!