Monday, October 6, 2008

Slacker

I seem to be having trouble getting back into a consistent blog posting mode. Maybe it's because my riding hasn't been going so well lately. There's nothing particularly wrong, things just aren't going as well as I'd like. Plus, my instructor just told me she thinks I belong in the advanced division in the show, not intermediate. While I'm glad she thinks I'm up to that level, I haven't exactly been feeling it myself. This puts new pressure on me, and it means I can expect some individual patterns without stirrups in the equitation class. I've been practicing without stirrups and I feel secure, but it doesn't look pretty. Also, I haven't had time to work on trotting in hand for showmanship, and also haven't had much progress getting Marve to chill out and not rush up to the horses in front of him.

Oh yeah, and I haven't practicing braiding yet, either. The barn owner overheard me telling someone I've never braided a mane and I thought she'd have a heart attack. She said I better start practicing like, yesterday. So tonight I'm going to the stable to start braiding. They are telling me to use yarn? That seems weird to me...won't yarn be too bulky? I thought it was more like thread or skinny yarn, but what they showed me was regular old yarn. So I clearly am clueless and am going to search around online for good braiding instructions before I give it a go. If you have any tips or resources, please post! I'm guessing I section off his mane first with rubber bands, then braid and start braiding the yarn in right away or halfway down? Then pull it through and tie it off? See, I am clueless. I will read about it and hopefully get an idea of how this works.

Bottom line, I don't feel ready for this show and there are only a few weeks left. But as long as I don't fall off or take out half the horses in the ring with a galloping Marve, I guess I'll be happy. And hey, being in the advanced division might severely limit my ability to get a decent ribbon, but at least I might not be riding around with 11-year-olds!

5 comments:

sidetracked said...

I'm totally with you on the braiding thing, I am hair challenged and everyone at the barn knows it. I've had two appy's that can't grow a thing so I've been forced to do a neat roach on them for showing. Here is an article I found that may help you step by step. And yes you do use yarn and not thread. I have seen thread used in the ending of a tail for the pin wheel to keep it in place.

Don't worry, just breathe relax and ride like you know you can. It's too bad that your not closer, I would love to be your groom and watch you go.

Also, I've been holding onto this nasty cold for over a week and have only ridden once in that time. I get anxious when I think about it, but what does it really hurt that my horse gets a week off. I need to take care of myself and I also recently got laid off and am doing interviews and such. So if he wants to eat then I need to work and get better hehehe. Good Luck

sidetracked said...

oops, here's the braiding link

http://www.horsechannel.com/horse-exclusives/horse-mane-braiding.aspx

Maybe Mae said...

LOL I JUST did a search on braiding and saved that link you just posted. It looked better/more thorough than some of the others I found. But thanks for posting it and confirming my choice. :)

Daun said...

Chin up, Mae! You are going to rock that show! Everyone has ups and downs riding, it IS the hardest thing you can do, in my opinion.

Laura said...

I'm sure you'll do ok - just take a deep breath and do your best.

I can't believe someone at the barn can't take a few minutes and get you started with braiding. I would never leave someone to just muddle through something if I could help them a bit.