Sunday, June 22, 2008

Taking the Leap

I had a really good ride on Mae the other day. Our cantering is going soooo much better, and I think it's because I'm really carrying over the instruction I'm getting at Other Barn. Of course, before every ride I have a mental list of like three dozen things I need to remember to fix/control/pay attention to in my riding, but then when I'm in the saddle it's so hard to manage any of those things!

Anyway, since our ride went so well, I started thinking of jumping. Mae's owner said she's totally fine if I want to jump her. (Mae's owner might be too trusting, I think, ha.) I'm a beginner jumper. I did some when I was a kid (as in when I was about nine years old!) and in the last year I've jumped low fences in my classes at Other Barn. I'm talking 2' tops. I absolutely love it but I know I'm not experienced and haven't really planned on jumping Mae. There is one jump at her barn and I guess I could set it up at like 12 inches and pop over it a few times. But is even that safe? I still haven't been able to secure the trainer in coming out to give me lessons (ugh, don't get me started). Plus, while I was told Mae jumps and is fine, I don't think the owner has jumped her recently. And it just feels weird and unsafe for me to take a horse I've never jumped and point her at a jump (tiny as it may be) when I'm inexperienced and don't have an instructor on hand. I don't know. Am I overthinking this? I guess I could start with a ground pole (the barn has one "jump" with only one pole) and then raise it so she'd barely have to pick up her feet to go over it. I can't imagine that would be too unsafe if I'm careful, but I don't want to be like one of those asshats on YouTube. :)

In any case, I'm not about to run out and try jumping her tomorrow. I want to spend more time just riding around in two-point position and gaining strength and security. I've been doing a lot of double posting and riding in two-point position, but for some reason riding Mae without stirrups isn't working for me! I can ride the schoolies at Other Barn without stirrups, but when I try it with Mae it's a disaster. One my feet are out of the stirrups and we try to trot, she freaks out. Her head goes up in the air and she starts going super fast and I have to bring her back to a walk so I don't fall off. I guess she can tell I'm tense/unbalanced, or maybe it's the stirrups hitting her sides. (When I pull them up and cross them over her withers, they poke into my legs and I can't trot that way.) I still suspect the saddle is not a good fit for me, but who knows. I just feel that if I can't ride her properly without stirrups, then I have no business attempting even baby jumps.

Anyway, I'm off to the stable soon. I hope you all have a lovely Sunday and get to see your horses!

No comments: