Saturday, June 14, 2008

Luck Be an Old Lady

So today was the schooling show at Other Barn. Overall, it was fun and I'm glad I did it, but I still managed to feel kind of humiliated. Or do I mean humbled? No, humiliated. And apparently, I am old. I'm only hovering around the age 30 range, but apparently I am ANCIENT compared to every other rider at Other Barn.

As I mentioned earlier, this was a schooling show only for the stable's extensive lesson program. The riders just have to show up and are handed their groomed, braided, tacked-up horses all ready to go. They get on, compete in the class, and then pass the school horse off to the next person assigned to the horse. So it's obviously not a very big deal show, just a way for the lesson riders to compete in a fun environment.

I already knew going into it that I'd be one of the oldest riders, but oh man. While waiting in line for my number, I was surrounding by nervous giggling little girls who swirled all around me. Fabulous. Then the woman working the booth just stands up and hands me my number. She and I have never met but she knew who I was because all the riders' ages are listed on her sheet. Since I was the only one there over, say, 16, she knew it was me. Yegads!

Actually, there was at least one other adult rider in the intermediate division (my division). But they split up the intermediate riders into two sections, and she was in the other one. Why?? Were they trying to spread the oldness around? Didn't it occur to them that we both might have been more comfortable with another adult rider in the ring? Ah, well.

Oh, and attire. I was also the ONLY one at the entire show who wasn't decked out in full-on show attire. Even the novice riders all had jackets. Excuse my abbreviated language, but WTF? It's not like these girls are going around to the local shows all summer. They only ride at this barn, on these school horses, so this little schooling show is it for them for the summer. I guess their parents run out and buy them full-blown show attire anyway. It boggles my mind. I'm an adult with a job and could easily afford to buy a nice jacket and new breeches, but I don't see the point in buying all that stuff now because, you know, I don't actually show. Anyway, I knew I wouldn't be penalized for not wearing perfect show attire because the stable sent out an email last week discussing what is acceptable attire for this show. I wore dark grey breeches, high boots, and a white polo shirt. I kept my appearance neat and tidy, but I definitely stuck out as the only person in the entire show not wearing a jacket. Or $200 breeches.

But on to the show. First was the walk-trot class. There were a whopping 14 riders in this class. I was riding a school horse who generally is a good old guy, but sometimes he gets really excited and quick and wants to go super fast. We did really well in this class, though, and I was pleased...up until we were walking by the rail on the side near the audience, and a little girl called out in her loud little girl voice: "Mommy, why is that grown up riding with all the little kids?" Ha ha! Yes, little girl. Why indeed.

Anyway, we didn't get a ribbon in walk-trot, but with 6 ribbons and 14 riders I wasn't exactly expecting one. On to equitation, which I was kind of nervous about, because the judge was making everyone go through individual exercises and ride without stirrups, etc. Somehow, though, old Mr. School Horse and I did really well! He was attentive and calm and didn't try to trot at the speed of light or anything. I managed to post without stirrups without wheezing or falling off, and he picked up the correct lead every time (he is famous for often refusing to pick up the left lead). So I was feeling pretty proud of myself, and I knew we did well. We ended up getting third place out of about 10 riders, which I consider pretty darn good. Of course, being a "grown up" has its advantages. During the individual exercises I was able to, you know, listen to the judge and do what she asked me, but I noticed some fo the kids made a few mistakes. Either way, I figure I did pretty well and am happy with the yellow.

Then came the pleasure class, which basically was 10 minutes of me riding around in circles on a turbo-charged horse, just praying for it all to end. I don't know if I relaxed and stopping trying because we did well in the first two classes, or if my schoolie decided he had enough of this "calm, even stride" thing, but we were zooming around there and nothing I tried would slow him down. He also missed the left lead once or twice. I also lost my stirrup once at the canter and that resulted in a really wobbly, off-balanced panicked rush of me trying to get it back without falling off while Mr. School Horse tried to cut through the center of the ring....and this all happened right in front of the judge. Did she see us cantering around perfectly before and after that incident? Of course not! We did not, obviously, get a ribbon in this class.

So three classes and only one ribbon, but since it was a third place in equitation, I'm pretty happy with it. And it was just fun overall. I love (low pressure, schooling) shows, and I wish I could ride in them more. Mae and I have had some tough rides recently, so I'm not trying to get my hopes up in that department, but maybe somehow it can work out.

I know I said I'd give Mae the weekend off, but my upcoming week looks really busy so I think I'll sneak a ride in tomorrow. She's still getting a two day break, so I think that's good enough. I also need to write about the offer that came up at Other Barn today after the show. But that will have to wait until tomorrow because it's Saturday night and I need to go out and have a few drinks and forget just how old I apparently am!

2 comments:

Daun said...

Congratulations! Have a beer on me, a fellow 30-ish rider surrounded by children.

At least the sea of giggles and designer breeches parts when I ride through, for fear of being squished by the big boy.

You should teach Mae to stomp loudly.

Beckz said...

LOL I loved this post, you writing is hilarious. Well done on the third.