Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Brave Mae

Wow. Can I just say that Mae was awesome yesterday? She had so many reasons to be spooky and jumpy (CRAZY wind, a stallion parading around at the neighboring barn, some scary rattling tarp, and a random herding dog who decided to chase us around the outdoor arena) and she was, for the most part, fine. I was half worried about taking her outside in the wind in the first place, but I'm sick of the little indoor and thought I'd go for it.

I was nervous at first. Mae is by no means flighty, but sometimes she gets to be a bit of a handful and definitely has some spirit. Add that to the fact that I grew up riding Arabs who would prance around on their dainty toes with every breeze, and pull that special type of spook where one second you have a horse under you and the next second she's halfway to Kansas and you're hovering midair like the Wile E. Coyote or something. (I love Arabs, and I LOVED my Arab. But she sure loved to spook.)

But she was fine. By the end of the ride I felt much more confident and I trusted her not to freak out on me. What a good girl.

After I cooled her down and fed her, I turned Mae out in the pasture with her favorite gelding buddy. She doesn't get out every day, so I was happy to see her outside. After I unclipped her lead and watched her canter away so she could eat grass with her buddy, I couldn't stop smiling. It's been a long, long time since I turned out a horse after a ride and watched her playing in the pasture. It brought back a lot of nice memories, I guess.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

This post makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

First - you gotta love a horse that can be spooky but does her best to stay calm. There is something so noble about that.

Second - Is there any better feeling than knowing your doing your best for an animal that depends on you? Probably not.

I'm glad things are going so well for you!

Maybe Mae said...

Thanks, DP! We still have some challenges but we're working on it. :)