Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Dream Dream Dream

So last night I dreamt that I owned a huge, beautiful farm out in the country. (Oh, and it was summer, by the way. Glorious, glorious summer.) I had a black and white pinto draft horse, which I later learned was actually a Shire/Arab cross (wtf?) but he looked all Shire. I clearly remember every detail of pulling up a small blue mounting block and trying to get this horse to stop dancing around so I could mount him. I finally did, bareback. He was comfortable and steady and had a long, pretty mane. I rode him around for a while and met some friends who had other horses I can't remember too clearly. We rode around a big green field and then I woke up.

It made me kind of sad. I wish I really did have a big fuzzy draft to call my own, not to mention the gorgeous horse farm and the summertime temperatures.

I've been feeling burned out with my riding. Lately it's been all dressage, dressage, dressage. I like dressage, but recently I've started feeling like, Who the hells cares about being perfectly balanced and bendy and round and stretchy? I just want to, like, gallop across a field and call it a day.

But of course, I can't gallop across a field. I can't even take a trail ride to clear my head, considering 1) lease riders aren't "allowed" to ride on the trail 2) Even if I could convince them, Marve gets super nervous outside of the ring and is NOT a trail-safe horse, so I'll pass on that freakish bolting extravaganza, thank you very much 3) snow and cold and snow and cold.

The only other thing I can think of is to work on something different, like jumping. But Marve is a strong jumper and the last few times we tried I got really nervous. I do not have a stellar jump position, so when you combine that with Marve and my nerves, it's not pretty. Plus, I think we (I) need stronger skills on the flat before we're really ready to seriously work on jumping. Hence all the dressage.

Ah, well. Hopefully this feeling will pass. But I still wouldn't turn down the green field and the big draft horse if the opportunity presented itself. :)

2 comments:

Funder said...

Ahhh, that sucks! I get so bored so fast in the ring, which is NOT what you need to hear, I know. Hmm... try something slightly different? Set up a little obstacle course with ground poles, like a trail class, and ride it without reins? Try some of those silly-but-fun exercises from Centered Riding? Wait til nobody's around and Marve is totally chilled out and post the trot without stirrups? Or if you're tired of riding, do some clicker training. (If you don't want to hand-feed treats, you can always drop the treats in a bucket for him.)

Anonymous said...

Yep, you can't beat galloping across the field on a fuzzy draft horse..even if the field is covered in white stuff.

sorry, I gloat. I know. But I have been thinking about getting us some dressage instruction. I just figure no one will take me seriously on my draft.

some work, some play